Sunday 15 August 2010

Aegis...

'Aegis' is another new necklace prototype I have been working on - I wanted something a little smaller than the 'bib' idea, but still large enough to give me a good area to play with :).  I have been trying to think of iconic shapes, but steering clear of anything too figurative like hearts or stars.  Eventually I was reminded of a 'shield' shape (inspired by beautiful earrings I bought from ILDVED on Etsy) - ok so still quite figurative but more unusual, and the symbolism of protection and strength really appeals to me.

So, I tried a few shapes and sizes out in card, came up with a prototype stencil, and here is the finished result:
in situ:

I made the felt from silk hankie fibre, merino roving, abaca tissue, silk throwsters waste and cotton nepps.  Then I added couched thread, glass beads, and seed and colonial knot hand embroidery stitches.

4 comments:

Chris Gray said...

Beautiful Kate! ...again your choice of colours is superb :-)

Hooked On Felt said...

stunning! I love it!

Heather Woollove said...

This is just lovely. I think the way it nestles at the base of your throat is especially nice!

Kate said...

Thank you, everyone! I think this is my favourite prototype yet - I really can't resist the purple/pink/lilac colour combination... .