I also tried some more straightforward applique of slightly easier shapes, on a different top. For this I used a sort of 'petal' design I drew, and some scraps of Liberty fabrics from my stash.I cut out some templates, and put sticky tape on the back so I could play around with positions, to work out the final placement.Then I cut out the fabric shapes and decided which pattern would go where.Then I removed the templates and pinned on the fabric shapes.
I started sewing with tiny stitches as I thought this would look better - but it actually made the fabric bunch up a bit. Larger stitches worked better, but I definitely found the machine, and the fabric, a lot more difficult to manipulate compared to doing it by hand. I think the end result is less neat and accurate... but a lot faster!!