Thursday 4 November 2010

Sketchbook cover...

As you may have noticed, I'm a bit obsessed with making covers and cases for things... :D

Another project that has been taking up room on my desk waiting to be finished is finally complete - a wee 'wrap' style cover for my beautiful new sketchbook made by Hypsela.  I am trying to lose my inhibitions about drawing and to give it a go, and thought a lovely sketchbook and cover might be encouraging :) - the cover necessary because I have so much detritus in my bags and I would hate to damage this beautiful book!


Isn't the hand-dyed fabric cover beautiful?

I went for the wrap idea so that it would fit any small-ish sketchbook and could be re-used once this book is full.

I used oatmeal linen and a felted piece on the same linen that I had made but hadn't yet thought of a use for.

I hemmed the linen, sewed on a lovely laquered button and added a thin kumihimo braid for closure.  Then I beaded and embroidered the felt to finish it off. 


Running, split, bullion knot, colonial knot, seed, detached fly, woven spider's wheel and detached chain stitches:

She will be getting her first outing tomorrow on my maiden sketching trip!  *gulp*

4 comments:

Helen Smith said...

I'm so glad you like your book - and the cover you have made is really beautiful. My own books don't get such careful treatment! Good luck with your sketching trip - just do it! ;-)

Boo's Jewellery said...

I too try and give all my nice things covers to protect them, but I don't usually go to quite that much trouble - yours is gorgeous, well done.

Chris Gray said...

Beautiful!...

...love the button...

Kate said...

Thanks everyone :)
Kate x