Sunday, 25 July 2010

Verdure

My second 'bib'-style necklace prototype is called 'Verdure'
She is smaller than 'Flare', and measures 13.5cm x 5cm at her widest and longest parts.

To make her, first I made a piece of felt with my embellisher, using silk hankie fibre, cotton scrim, cotton nepps, silk throwsters waste and silk thread. Once I've drawn up and decided on the necklace shape, I mask off the area with paper so I know where to work:
Next, I added couched silk boucle thread, and lots of glass beads in shades of green, yellow and gold:
and then seed, bullion knot, detached fly and colonial knot hand embroidery stitches in silk ribbon, cotton, rayon and silk threads:
Usually by this time I have decided on a name for the piece - although as you can see I changed my mind with this one!

Once the beading and embroidery is finished, I carefully cut out the felt shape and then whip-stitch around the edges:

Then I added hand-dyed variegated silk ribbon, joined to the felt piece with bronze jump rings and tiny stitches:
I decided to go with ribbon rather than chain to make sure the necklace would be adjustable to the right length for any wearer.  

And finally, to give a (rough!) idea of what the necklace looks like in situ:
I've really enjoyed making these necklaces - it's been a real treat to have a larger 'canvas' to work on and I love the amount of detail and texture it allows me to add.  Although I've decided to keep 'Flare' for myself, I'll be adding 'Verdure' to my Etsy shop later today.

5 comments:

Chris Gray said...

I really love the colour of this one...

..and you can tell you enjoyed making it!

Jude said...

oh oh I just love the way the ribbons tones match the piece! Gorgeous as ever!

tastykaeru said...

Thank you both of you! I'm still a bit addicted to this particular colour scheme :D

Kate x

fabriquefantastique said...

love this blog...I will be checking by frequently.

tastykaeru said...

Thank you, and welcome!
:D